Workplaces can provide a haven for germs. The close proximity of so many people working together, often in confined spaces and with limited access to fresh air are all factors that could increase our risk of catching germs.
Every time you sneeze you are projecting germs up to a metre away and once they land on a hard surface – such as a door handle, computer keyboard, telephone or pen – they can live there for up to 24 hours, just waiting to be picked up by fresh fingers.
If you want to avoid picking up germs at work, there are some simple tips you can follow:
- Wash your hands regularly and well with soap and warm water.
- In between hand washes, or if you can't get to a sink, use an antibacterial hand gel.
- Cover your mouth if sneezing or coughing. Some now advise coughing/sneezing into the crook of your arm.
- Use alcohol based cleaners or antiseptic wipes to regularly clean your desktop, phone, shared pens, steering wheels, tools etc.
- Try to eat with a spoon or fork, or if you have a sandwich, wrap a clean tissue around it to avoid it being contaminated by dirty hands.
Check out some other articles related to keeping you healthy!